|Hotel Idli Recipe|
Par-boiled rice / Idli rice - 3 cups
Whole Urad dal (white) - 3/4 cup
Salt - 1 and 3/4 tsp (+/- to taste)
Poha / Aval - 1/4 cup
1.Wash and soak urad dal and rice separately in water for 4 hours.
2. Soak poha in water for 5 mins, squeeze and drain excess water from poha and set aside.
3.Grind urad dal separately in wet grinder until smooth, adding 1/2 cup water to make grinding easy. Remove ground urad dal batter to a deep bowl.
3. Grind rice and poha together until smooth, adding about 3/4 cup of water to make grinding easy. Remove ground rice batter to same deep bowl in which urad dal batter is kept.
4. Wash wet grinder with 1/4 cup water, so that rice batter sticking to the wet grinder vessel is also removed. Add this water to the same deep bowl in which both batter is kept.
5. Add salt to the batter, mix well with hand, cover the batter and allow the batter to ferment overnight.
|Spongy Idli recipe|
1. Next day the fermented batter would be doubled in size and fluffy. Use a ladle to mix batter well until air escapes and batter slightly reduces in size.( The batter should not be too thick or watery).
2. Place Idli cooker or pressure cooker on heat. Grease the moulds in Idli plates, pour Idli batter in each mould.
3.Place the Idli plates stand poured with Idli batter inside Idli cooker. Cover Idli cooker with lid and steam Idli for 10 mins. ( if using pressure cooker just cover with lid and do not add weight)
4. Remove cooked Idlis using flat spoon.
Serve hot with Tiffin Sambar / Hotel Sambar or Coconut Chutney
Click for Tiffin Sambar Recipe
Click for White Coconut Chutney Recipe