two

Search this blog

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Muslim's Chicken Biryani- Fail-Safe Recipe

This is an authentic Muslim biryani recipe which i got from a local caterer who caters delicious food for Muslim weddings. Everyone calls him "Bhai" he is very humble and generous to share his trade secret with me.
Muslim Biryani Recipe
Ingredients
Chicken pieces with bone-1 kg( 2 pounds)
Basmati Rice uncooked( India Gate Classic)-4 cups( 960 gms or 1 kg)
Onion large( chopped)-4 nos
Tomato medium( chopped)-4 nos
Green chilli-14 nos( +/-)
Ginger-2" pieces
Garlic cloves( peeled)-12
Thick curd/ Yogurt- 3 tbsp
Mint/ Pudina leaves( chopped)-1 bunch
Coriander leaves( chopped)-1/2 bunch
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Biryani Essence( Tiger Brand)- 1 tsp( optional)
Salt to taste
Water-6 cups
Oil or Ghee- 1/4 cup


For tempering
Bay leaf-4
Cinnamon-2" piece
Cardamom-8
Cloves-8

To serve with Biryani
Boiled Eggs- 6
Muslim's Chicken Biryani Recipe
Method
Clean and wash the chicken pieces. 
Soak basmati rice in 6 cupwater for half an hour. 
Grind the green chillis, ginger and garlic together to a smooth paste.
Heat oil or ghee in a pan, when oil is hot add the bay leafs, cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms and fry until the aroma of spices rise.
Next add the onions to the frying spices and fry till the onion turns golden brown.
Now add the ground ginger, garlic and green chilli paste to the onions and fry till the raw smell of paste leaves.
Add the chicken pieces to the onions and sauté till the chicken pieces are lightly browned.
Add the chopped mint and coriander leaves( reserve some mint and coriander leaves to garnish) to the chicken and stir fry well.
Now add the chopped tomatoes, curd, turmeric powder and required salt to the chicken and saute for few more mins until tomatoes are cooked.
Add water in which basmati rice soaked to the chicken mixture, cover the pan with a lid, bring the chicken gravy to boil and check for salt.
When the chicken gravy starts boiling, add the soaked basmati  rice to the boiling chicken gravy.
Gently stir the rice, until 3/4th of the chicken gravy is absorbed by the rice.
Again cover the pan tightly with lid, reduce the heat to medium and cook the rice for 10 mins or until the rice is tender.
Once the rice is cooked, add the reserved mint and coriander leaves to the Biryani and gently stir the Biryani
Chicken Biryani Muslim Style

37 comments:

MyKitchen Flavors-BonAppetit!. said...

Fantastic Biryani recipe Dear.Luv it.Wish to try it soon.Yum Yum clicks 2.Dear Blogger Friend,Wish U a Warm and Happy Diwali.Enjoy the Festivities with taste-filled delights,Safe and Delicious Moments - Regards, Christy Gerald

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, makes me hungry,seriously drooling over that irresistible briyani..

Madhusudhan said...

It came out really nice, my friends said it's very delicious biryani. We bachelors are staying together and this first recipe I made from your blog. Going to try all the other recipes too.

Anonymous said...

Ya I made this today for dinner and it was a perfect chicken biryani, thought of reserving some for the next day but we finished the same night. Very good thanks for sharing.

Ayesha.

Anonymous said...

HI,
LOVE YOUR BLOG AND THE WAY YOU HAVE CATEGORISED THE RECIPES. BOOKMARKED A LOT OF RECIPES.
PRIYA

Anonymous said...

Yes I made this today and came really good. Thanks for the recipe.
Asha

Anonymous said...

very nice biryani, this was our sunday special lunch and tasted really great. Poorani

Gopi said...

This is an awesome simple and easy to cook receipe.. I tried and it cameout well.. Except the change in quantity of water that needs to be added.. Thanks for this simple and easy receipe.. Gopi

Anonymous said...

I actually dont how to operate a pressure cooker, to say m a student in LKG, in terms of cooing, I tried this recipe , and , OH BOY, my friend cudnt believe that I cooked this chicken biryani and that 2 yummy , Thanks a lot , blog all ur recipes.

Swapna said...

This is the best biryani i had ever made.

Vasudevan said...

Looks very good I have an question you haven't used chilli powder in this biryani will the heat of green chilly will be enough?
Awaiting your reply.

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Hi Vasudevan, yes you need not use chilli powder in this recipe, the heat and spicy of green chilli will be good enough for the biryani. This is the way the catering person teached me making biryani. Since you are grinding green chilli with ginger and garlic the heat of ginger, garlic and green chilli will be good enough to make the biryani spicy. If you still want more spicy biryani increase the no of green chilli. There multiple postive comments from the people who had tried this recipe. Hope I have clarified your doubt. Do try this recipe and give your valuable feedback.

And some of the viewers may have doubt about the color of biryani without using chilli powder how did I gained that golden reddish color. That was my turmeric powder which gave me good color to the biryani, some brands of turmeric powder will be reddish yellow while other brands may be perfect yellow or pale yellow.

Anonymous said...

Made it for today's lunch and came really good...I added chilly powder and reduced green chilly while grinding...I alos tried your vanjaram fry recipe and it was good combo fpr biryani.

Geethalakshmi

Anonymous said...

I have made this recipe couple of times very good recipe
Thanks Anand.

Anonymous said...

where can i find biryani essence?

Mythreyi Dilip said...

I got my biryani essence from Chennai. I think you can find it in supermarkets across South India. If you are living abroad try requesting your nearby Indian grocery store for one:-)

Saji said...

Thanxs mythreyi , for the excellent recipe ., I did not have biriyani essence , so I added my home made Garam masala ! this recipe is a keeper :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mythreyi Dilip said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rani Dhuraisamy said...

Very nice chicken biryani...I used little extra oil. Otherwise everything was perfect.

Parvathi said...

Tried it today for my mother's birthday. She liked it very much. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Your Muslim biryani was awesome and was block buster in my bachelors party. Thank you Sister.

Prakash

Anonymous said...

Hi I'd like to make this recipe but what is a nos?

Mythreyi Dilip said...

It's numbers (quantity) referred in short.

Khalil Alsalman said...

Great Biryani recipe

Anonymous said...

I have a question. I want to make this for dinner, looks amazing :) and looking at the picture, are you using chicken wings? The legs look really small or should I just use the leg of the chicken? Thanks :) can't wait to try.

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Hi I used whole chicken for recipe, I made this recipe while I was in India and whole chicken would be around 900 grams. If you are living in abroad whole chicken would weigh more than 1 kilogram. You can use chicken parts like wings, thighs and drumsticks because these are dark meat which tastes great for biryani.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Thanx a lot for a wonderful and delicious recipe,, I really made my guests happy,,
Note!! i added some potatoes, dryed plums and cucumber ... ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for this recipe. Having tried and tested many recipes for biryani before, this is by far the best, most delicious and easiest recipe.

amar said...

super !

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for the recipe. could you please tell when to add the biryani essence.

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Hi, at the point when chicken gravy starts boiling and when you add Basmati rice, you need to add Biryani essence.
Thanks

Sujitha said...

Tried it out.. Was awesome!!! Cooking again today for my friends....

Anonymous said...

Best Biryani recipe ever. Made it yesterday and everyone appreciated it. How can I use this recipe to make for 100 people?

Unknown said...

I tried ur recipe it was superb yummy n tasty... Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Truly a very delicious recipe. My hubby loved it :)

Unknown said...

Wonderfully tasty soul stirring biriyani...its taste is drooling...love you darling for such an amazing receipe. Keep posting more such receipes...kk