|Egg Dum Biryani|
Ingredients for rice
Basmati rice – 2 cups
Cinnamon stick – 2” piece
Cloves – 4 nos
Cardamom – 4 nos
Shahi jeera – ½ tsp( optional)
Bay leaf – 1 no
Oil – 2 tsp
Water to boil rice
Ingredients for Egg gravy
Boiled eggs – 5 to 6 nos
Onion chopped – 2 nos
Tomato chopped – 2 nos
Ginger and Garlic paste – 2 tsp
Green chilli broken – 2 nos
Red chilli powder – 1 and ¼ tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Chicken stock cube or Vegetable stock cube – 2 nos( optional)
Mint leaves chopped – ¼ cup
Coriander leaves chopped – ½ cup
Curd – 2 tbsp
Water – ½ to ¾ cup
Salt to taste
Saffron strand 6 nos soaked in 2 tbsp milk( optional)
Oil – 2 tbsp
|Dum Egg Biryani|
1. To cook rice. Boil water in a large pot to cook rice, in a small pan heat oil add cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf and shahi jeera, fry for a minute and add this tempering and required salt to boiling water. When water starts to boil add the basmati rice and cook the rice until 3/4th done. ( To check if the rice is 3/4th done, take a single grain and pinch it between your index finger and thumb the grain will break into 3 pieces).
2. When the rice is 3/4th cooked, drain rice in a colander, mix 1 tsp ghee or oil to the rice and spread it on large plate to cool .
3. To make the egg gravy. Heat oil in a pan, when oil is hot add the chopped onions and fry till browned, next add broken green chilli and ginger & garlic paste, sauté until the raw smell of ginger and garlic paste leaves.
4. Now add the chopped mint leaves and tomatoes, fry on medium heat until the tomatoes are cooked and slightly mashed.
5. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, chicken stock cubes, curd and required salt to the pan, fry for few more mins.
6. Add ½ cup water to the gravy and bring to boil, add boiled eggs to the boiling gravy and simmer on medium heat for 3 mins.
7. To assemble and dum the biryani. Take a thick bottomed pan with tight lid, grease pan with ghee or butter, spoon and layer egg gravy along with few eggs on the bottom layer of the pan, spoon the ¾ cooked rice and layer on the top of gravy, sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves on top of rice, again spoon some egg gravy mixture along with eggs on the rice layer and continue to spoon rice layer. The final top layer should be the rice layer, sprinkle chopped coriander and saffron milk along with saffron strands on the rice layer.
8. Cover the pan with tight lid and keep pan on low heat for 7 to 8 mins.
9. Serve hot with Onion Raita or with Chalna.
Tips: Since the eggs do not have flavor for itself I have used chicken stock cubes to flavor the gravy.