|Thenkuzhal Murukku Recipe|
Rice flour - 2 cups
Urad flour - 1/2 cup
Black sesame seeds - 1 and 1/4 tsp
Butter - 3 tbsp
Asafetida - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp + few pinch if required
Oil - to deep fry
|Thenkuzhal - Diwali Snacks|
1. Mix rice flour, urad flour, sesame seeds, asafetida, butter and salt in a bowl.
2. Add water little by little to the flour mixture and knead to soft non sticky dough.
3. Heat oil in a kadai or deep pan to deep fry, meanwhile cover dough with damp cloth to prevent from drying.
4. Grease murukku press with little butter, place thenkuzhal murukku plate( with three holes) inside the murukku press and fill murukku press with dough.
5. Dip slotted ladel( Jalli karandi) in oil and place it on plate. Squeeze murukku dough on the ladels in round shape.
6. Carefully drop the murukku into hot oil and continue with rest of dough.
7. Deep fry murukku on low heat until golden in color and bubbling stops.
8. Drain murukku on paper towel and once cooled to room temperature store it in air tight box.
1. Idiyappam flour or homemade rice flour can be used instead of store bought rice flour.
2. To make homemade rice flour- soak 1/2 kg rice in water for 2 hours, drain rice and dry it in shade for 4 hours. Give the dried rice to flour and ask them to grind until smooth.
3. To make homemade urad dal flour- Roast 3 cups whole urad dal on low heat until slightly browned and aroma rises. Allow to cool and grind it until smooth, measure and use it in recipe.
4. Murukku hot from the oil will be soft and will become crisp as it reaches room temperature.
5. Dalda( vegetable shortening) can also be used instead of butter, but butter is healthier.