|Mullu Murukku Recipe|
Rice Flour - 3 cups
Besan Flour - 1 cup
Sesame seeds - 2 tsp
Red Chilly Powder - 2 tsp
Asafetida - 1/4 tsp
Butter - 2 tbsp ( at room temperature)
Hot Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp + more if needed
Hot Water - required
Oil To Deep Fry
|Mullu Murukku - Diwali Snacks|
1. Mix rice flour, besan flour, sesame seeds, red chilly powder, asafetida, butter, hot oil and salt in a bowl.
2. Add hot water little by little to the flour mixture and knead to soft non sticky dough.
3. Grease murukku press with little butter, place Mullu Murukku( star hole) plate inside press and fill murukku press with prepared dough.
4. Meanwhile heat oil in a pan to deep fry, slightly grease slotted ladle( jalli karandi) with oil, squeeze murukku dough onto ladle in round shape.
5. Carefully drop mullu murukku into hot oil, continue with rest of dough.
6. Deep fry murukku until golden color and until bubbling stops on low heat.
7. Drain murukku onto paper towel and once it is cooled to room temperature store it in airtight box.
1. You can use cumin seeds instead of sesame seeds.
2. If you don't want spice it's optional to add red chilly powder to the recipe.
3. Murukku hot from the oil will be soft and will become crisp as it reaches room temperature.
4. Dalda( vegetable shortening) can also be used instead of butter, but butter is healthier.