Maida / All purpose flour - 4 cups
Thick Curd - 4 tbsp
Warm milk - 1/2 cup
Dry yeast - 2 tbsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Water if required
Butter, Chopped garlic, Chopped coriander, Sesame seeds etc to spread over Naan
|How to make Naan|
1. In a bowl add yeast & sugar to warm milk and mix well.
2. Cover the bowl and set aside to rest until the yeast in milk ferments and becomes frothy.
3. In a large bowl add flour, salt, curd and fermented milk.
4. Mix the flour and knead dough well for 7 mins until dough becomes soft.
5. Cover the dough in the bowl with damp cloth and set aside for atleast 4 hours or until the dough to raise & double in size.
6. Once naan dough doubles in size divide the dough into equal sized balls.
7. Roll the dough into oval triangular shapes.( to get the oval triangular shape of naan, first roll the dough in oval shape then at one oval end roll the dough in opposite direction so that one end gets wider and other end gets narrow).
8. Pre-heat oven to 180C to 200C depending on your oven, place the rolled naan on greased cookie sheet.
9. Place the cookie sheet in the top rack of the oven and bake for 3 mins on each side or until golden bubbles appear on top of naan.
10. Transfer the baked naan to a plate and generously spread butter on top on hot naan.
Serve hot butter naan with palak paneer, butter chicken etc.
While finally rolling out naan sprinkle chopped garlic and coriander for garlic naan or sprinkle chopped dried fruits and nuts for Kashmiri naan or sprinkle some sesame seeds to keep it humble.
|Naan Bread Recipe|