two

Search this blog

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Thakkali Kulambu/ Tomato Gravy for Idli and Dosa and Dosa Recipe.


This is my mom's recipe specially prepared as side dish for Dosa and Idly.



Ingredients
Tomatoes diced-1cup
Onion medium chopped-1/4cup
Garlic clove sliced-2
Green chilly slit-2
Coconut paste/ Milk-1cup
Chilly powder-1tsp
Kuzhambu powder-1tbsp
Turmeric-1/4tsp
Mustard seeds-1tsp
Salt to taste
Sesame/ Gingelly oil required

Method
Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds when crackles add the onions, garlic and green chilly, fry for few minutes. Add the tomatoes and fry till they are mashed. Now add the chilly powder, kuzhambu powder, turmeric and salt, add enough water, cover with lid and simmer for 8 mins. Finally add the coconut paste, bring to boil and serve hot with dosa or idly.



Dosa


Ingredients


3 cups parboiled rice

1 cup white Urad Dal (white lentils)
Salt to taste

Method
Wash and soak the urad dal and parboiled rice in water for 6 hours.
First make a smooth batter of urad dal in a Wet grinder or Blender, next make a smooth batter of rice. Combine the rice batter with the urad dal batter in a big bowl and add salt. Mix well and keep the batter to ferment overnight for minimum 12 hours. This is both Idly and Dosa batter. To prepare Dosa, heat a tawa smear 1tsp of oil. When tawa is hot, take a ladle full of batter and spread from the center to the corner in circle motion (it should be like pancakes). Smear with 1tsp of oil around dosa. Cook dosa on both sides and serve hot with Thakkali Kuzhambu/Sambhar/Chutney

12 comments:

Unknown said...

HI Mythreyi,
I came across your blog on blogcatalogue. Just stopping by to say hi. I love Indian Food and I will be trying some of your delicious recipes over time. I am not familiar with this ingredient? Kuzhambu? What is it?

Anonymous said...

oh ya, my mom makes it the exact same way and I love this dish.

Abhilash Pillai said...

Mythreyi first thanks for following the blog… I am glad to know that people at least drop on life at Abhi to read my posts…

Second, I came to know from your blog that you are a super cook just like me, and the same person is behind your cooking, a mother.

You have simple to cook and original recipes...South Indian recipe… dosa… sad I cannot prepare it as my tava has lost its handle…

I will have it tomorrow from the uduppi hotel at Cochin.

Padma said...

Nice combo Myethreyi... I love it esp with idli/dosa... looks yummy :)

Anonymous said...

luv this da!

Shri said...

Hi Mythreyi,
Nice dish!I have always known the chutneys and dosa/idlis combo but never the curry type.

Sashi said...

Hi Mythreyi, First time here. I liked ur recipes. Cannot wait to try this out. Would be visiting frequently.:)

Padma said...

Mye I have an award for you in my blog- plz accept it :)

chef and her kitchen said...

Thanks for visiting my blog dear...Lovely kuzhambu..u do hv a neat blog..

Sashi said...

Mythreyi, I have an award for u in my blog. Please grab it.

Bergamot said...

Looks great... love the colors of the dosa and the tomato gravy.

Unknown said...

First time here...nice collection of recipes!