two

Search this blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Hotel Style Tiffin Sambar Recipe / Ratna Cafe Sambar / Sambar for Idli Dosa Pongal

Learn how to make Hotel Sambar / Tiffin Sambar
I still remember when I started blogging 4 yrs back I was first or one of few bloggers to post about Tiffin Sambar Recipe or Hotel Sambar Recipe. This Sambar recipe has acclaimed me many compliments from my fans, friends and co- bloggers. At that time I had just point and shoot camera I wasn't able to shoot a good picture of it, so here I'm re-posting the same recipe here with recent pictures. You can click here for the link to older post.
This is my favorite sambar for idly, dosa, pongal and even it tastes great with hot pooris. For the people who know about the popular Ratna Cafe's Sambar( triplicane, Chennai), this Tiffan sambar tastes similar to the Ratna cafe's sambar. 
Hotel Sambar

Ingredients
Toor dal/ Split pigeon peas( cooked and mashed)-1cup
Small onions/ Shallots( peeled)-15 to 20
Tomato medium chopped-1
Drumsticks-1 no
Carrots chopped-1/2cup
Curry leaves-few
Coriander leaves-few
Turmeric powder-1/2tsp
Mustard seeds-1tsp
Jaggery powdered-1tsbp
Salt to taste
Oil required

Sambar powder ingredients
( Dry roast the following ingredients separately and grind to fine paste)
Coriander seeds-3tbsp
Bengal gram/ Split chick peas-2tbsp
Whole dry red chilly-10( +/- depending on taste)
Cumin seeds-1tsp
Fenugreek/ Methi seeds-1/2tsp
Fresh shredded Coconut-1/2cup( don't roast coconut, add this while grinding).
Tiffin Sambar
Method
Heat enough oil in a pan, when hot add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds crackles add the shallots and curry leaves, fry for few minutes and add the carrots and drumsticks. Now add the tomatoes and cook for few more mins, when the tomatoes are done, add the turmeric powder and ground sambar paste. Fry the ground paste for few seconds and add the cooked toor dal. Season with salt and add enough water( to get required consistency, sambar should not be too thin or too thick). Simmer the sambar for 5 mins. Finally add the powdered jaggery and coriander leaves, give a good stir and remove from heat. Serve hot with Idly, Dosas. Pongal or Poori.
Sambar for Idli Dosa 
Important points for making this delicious Tiffan Sambar are
Never use tamarind pulp for this sambar
Do not add more vegetables( any 2 to 3 variety of vegetable is enough) 
Try to use small onions( shallots)
A tbsp of powdered jaggery is very important ingredient for this recipe.




14 comments:

Finla said...

Love sambar and this looks so good.

Unknown said...

Yummy sambar :) need some hot piping idles with it

Priya Suresh said...

Ratna cafe sambar, the word itself makes me drool..Love this dish.

Usha said...

Sambar looks delicious, would love to try this version :)

lubnakarim06 said...

Sambar looks so yum.....

Anonymous said...

I love your recipes Mye. Will try this sambar for Dosa today...

Laxmi

Indian Khana said...

Looks yum n perfect

Simplyfood said...

Looks so inviting and delicioys will definately book mark it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mye, made your sambar for dosa wow it was very yummy and exactly like hotel sambar. Thanks for sharing your recipe da.

Laxmi

sudha said...

sambar tasted really good.Even my daughter loved it.Thank you for the recipe

Anonymous said...

Made this sambar many times and my entire family is crazy after this, now they are asking for it often.

Anonymous said...

Dear mye .....
I tried out ur tiffin sambar today and it came out very well. .... I discovered ur blog just 3 days back when I was searching for kulambu milagai thool. ... I went through your recipes and could appreciate ur passion for cooking.... keep up the good work.... my best wishes for ur future endeavours. ...This is De first comment I am posting in a cooking blog..... because yours is awesome. ... Once again thanks a lot for sharing ur knowledge. ...

Mrs.Surya venkat

Anonymous said...

Dear mye .....
I tried out ur tiffin sambar today and it came out very well. .... I discovered ur blog just 3 days back when I was searching for kulambu milagai thool. ... I went through your recipes and could appreciate ur passion for cooking.... keep up the good work.... my best wishes for ur future endeavours. ...This is De first comment I am posting in a cooking blog..... because yours is awesome. ... Once again thanks a lot for sharing ur knowledge. ...

Mrs.Surya venkat

Suni said...

No words, so easy to make and hygienic, I spend a lot on hotels after visiting your site I spend time on finding ingredience and enjoy cooking with my husband and 10 year old son, what else can be better involving your loved one in your cooking which really bonds you all.

Love this

suni