Why it’s better than KFC?
Bite sized chicken chunks are coated with Panko ( Japanese) breadcrumbs instead of regular bread crumbs, which absorbs less oil and keeps Popcorn Chicken light and crispy.
Chicken is fried in oil instead of lard, normally restaurants fry chicken pieces in lard or shortening ( Vanaspathi).
You can flavor popcorn chicken as per your taste.
Chicken Thigh or breast meat – 250 gms
Red chilli powder or black pepper powder – 1 and ¼ tsp
Garlic powder – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Egg – 1 number
Plain flour / Maida – ¼ cup
Panko Breadcrumbs – 1 and ½ cups
|Panko breadcrumbed Chicken|
1. Chop the chicken thigh or breast meat into bite sized pieces.
2. Marinade chicken pieces with 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp lemon juice and required salt for at least 20 minutes.
3. Lightly beat an egg with ¼ tsp red chili powder and 2 generous pinches of salt in a bowl.
4. Place plain flour in another bowl. and set aside.
5. Place panko breadcrumbs in a wide bowl or plate and set aside.
6. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
7. First add 4 or 5 marinated chicken pieces to the plain flour mixture and coat well with flour, shake excess flour from the chicken pieces and add it to the egg mixture. Quickly shake to drip of excess egg from chicken pieces and add it to the panko breadcrumbs and coat well. Place breadcrumb coated chicken pieces on to separate plate. Continue the same process with rest of chicken pieces.
8. Once the oil is hot, lower the heat to medium and start adding chicken pieces to oil in batches. Fry the chicken pieces until golden brown, crispy and drain on to a paper towel.
9. Serve hot Popcorn Chicken with sauce of your choice.
|Popcorn Chicken Recipe|